Monday, November 26, 2007

NO! I will NOT give you a Napa part number!

Sometimes I will get a call that starts off well, but doesn't end that way. This guy sounded intelligent, but at the end... Well, you'll see. I did thank him for saying he would not call us again!

Me: Thanks for calling xxxxxxx customer assistance, my name is Scotty. May I have your name please?

Caller: Bill xxxxxx

Me: And your phone number?

Caller: xxx-xxx-xxxx

Me: How can I help you today?

Caller: I need a freeze plug.

Me: What engine do you have?

Caller: An XXX, engine number xxxxxxxx.

(He is pretty cooperative at this stage, and he supplies me with the information I need. It looks like it’s going to be a good call).

Me: Okay, which freeze plug do you need?

Caller: The one on the side of the engine.

Me: Most of them are on the side of the engine. Which one of them are you talking about?

Caller: The one that is made of metal.

Me: Freeze plugs are generally made of metal. Can you give me a general area where it is?

Caller: On the side of the engine. It’s kinda in the middle. It started leaking oil.

Me: Do you mean coolant?

Caller: No, I mean oil.

Me: Okay, we have now determined what you want is NOT a freeze plug. It’s an oil gallery plug. Is in above the transfer pump?

Caller: What’s a transfer pump?

Me: The fuel pump that transfers fuel from the tank to the injection pump. It’s on the side of the engine.

Caller: Ohh, that thing! Yeah, it screws in above it.

Me: Okay, that is part number xxxxxxx. You have a distributor less than 5 miles from you. They would be a good place to get it.

Caller: I want a Napa part number. I don’t want to go to xxxxxxx xxxxx xxxxx (the distributor).

Me: I can’t give you a Napa part number. We only have the part numbers for our company, besides, it would be best to go with what the engine is designed to use.

Caller: I want a Napa part number. You have to give it to me since you are supposed to provide customer service.

Me: I cannot, and will not give you a Napa part number. If you wanted a Napa part number, why didn’t you go to Napa?

Caller: They told me they had no way to look up that part, and they could only give me something that looked like it would work. They also told me if I wanted the right part I would need to go to your company. I called you, and now I want a Napa part number. Give it to me.

Me: Sir, I will not be able to provide you with a Napa part number. Napa could not even give you a part number because they do not make it. Remember, they sent you to us to get the part since they can not get an exact replacement.

Caller: Fine then, if you won’t give me a Napa part number I will NEVER call here again.

Me: Thank you. Is there anything else I can assist you with?

Caller: No. Bye. (hangs up)

No comments: